Purpose: To serve as nutrition and gardening teachers and advocates at a local community site (Boys & Girls Club of the Capital Area, Kennedy School 3rd grade, Oahe Inc., Oahe YMCA, St. Joe’s 5th grade & Afterschool, SD Discovery Center, Southeast Community Center, Stanley Co. GOLD Program).
- Spring March-May Position: 15 hours training; up to 40 hours of preparation, teaching, and garden tending (up to a total of 55 hours and $550 stipend)
- Summer/Fall June-August Position: 15 hours training; up to 40 hours of preparation, teaching, and garden tending (up to a total of 55 hours and $550 stipend)
- Participate in Teens as Experts training.
- Co-teach (with other teens and/or an adult partner) Harvest of the Month, Grow Lab, or other gardening programs at a local site.
- Model and encourage healthy eating and lifestyle choices.
- Teens between the ages of 15-18
- Motivation to learn about nutrition and gardening methods
- Ability to communicate the value of healthy eating and gardening to youth helping them make healthy choices
- Enhanced leadership skills
- Opportunities to meet and share ideas with other teens and adult volunteers
- Opportunity to explore career options of teaching, nutrition, and science
- Resume builder
- $10/hour stipend
Teen Expert Application (MS Word)
Teen Expert Application (PDF)
Applications are due February 15, 2016 for the spring position and April 29, 2016 for the summer/fall position. To submit your application, email it to danettejarzab at sd-discovery dot com. Please email Danette with questions, or call the Discovery Center at 605-224-8295.