Current Professional Development
Date and Time: Friday November 17 4pm – 9:30pm. Saturday November 18 8:30am – 6:00pm.
Location: Sioux Falls, Washington High School
Fee: Free! (1 credit, extra)
Don’t just teach science, do science! GLOBE is an international science and education project that engages students in earth systems exploration and research. GLOBE is sponsored by NASA and the National Science Foundation.GLOBE teachers are eligible for stipends, minigrants for supplies and other exciting opportunities.
Join your colleagues around the state, country and world and become a GLOBE trained teacher!
Register through Eventbrite.
- The Schedule is Friday 4pm – 9:30 pm, Saturday 8:30 – 6:00pm.
- The workshop includes a Phase 1 National Geographic Certified Educator training as a working dinner.
- We will be outside in the field, weather permitting.
- Please bring a laptop
- Sign up for a GLOBE account BEFORE the class.
- You will also need to register for this class on the GLOBE website.
STEAM Quick Stops: Prairie to the Poles Exploration
Time: 4th Monday of the Month October – April (not Dec)from 4:15 – 6:15PM CT
Location: Online via Google Meet (Chrome browser, webcam required)
Fee: Free! (1 credit extra)
Explore the connections between the Prairie and the Arctic through science, geography, art, special guests and more! You will learn about (or go deeper into) GLOBE, National Geographic resources and GEMS. We’ll cover seasons, weather, climate, oceans, migrations and mapping. Join us two hours a month on the 4th Monday from October to April via Google Meet for this hybrid professional development opportunity. Stipends provided.
Late registration accepted until November 15. Email Anne to register.
We now offer contact hour certificates for participating in approved webinars. Stay on top of your professional development requirements when it works for you! Have a few hours while the kids are at soccer practice? Have an unexpected snow day and can’t leave the house? Use this time to earn two contact hours!
Learn more: www.sd-discovery.org/webinars
About South Dakota Discovery Center Professional Development Opportunities
The South Dakota Discovery Center’s professional development opportunities equip teachers with the knowledge, skills and abilities to integrate hands-on, experiential learning into their classroom. Our accredited workshops provide teachers with classroom ready activities that engage students in exploration, investigation, and discovery.
- Early childhood to high school, we offer something for every grade band.
- Standards and best practices are important to you, they are important to us. We understand the importance of standards and best practices, including the Framework for K-12 Science Education and the new South Dakota science standards.
- College, Career and Life Ready – Our workshops will help your students become college, career and life ready through high quality, inquiry based, experiential learning. The 4 C’s – communication, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking – are infused in our workshops.
Current professional development themes are:
Environmental science – We use a suite of curricula including GLOBE, Project WET and the Leopold Education Project to provide you exemplary science teaching and learning opportunities for your classroom. Explore disciplinary core ideas in the context of cross cutting concepts using science and engineering practices.
Contact Anne for more information about a professional development opportunity tailored made for you!
GEMS – Great Exploration in Math and Science. We can tailor a professional development opportunity focused around any of our GEMS kits. No need to travel to the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley CA when the same professional development in inquiry, experiential and hands-on learning is available to you. Contact us