Check out our Professional Development Opportunities!
GLOBE (Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment) is an international science and education project that involves students in investigating the Earth's Systems through collecting data using standardized protocols, reporting data using an internationally accessible database, and participating in research projects and field campaigns.
GLOBE is active in 112 countries with over 66,000 teachers participating world wide.
Students who participate in GLOBE:
- collect and report data on local environmental conditions to an internationally accessible data base,
- contribute data to field campaigns coordinated by scientists, and
- do research using data collected from their school's site and sites around the world.
GLOBE equips teachers to meet standards by using science and engineering practices to explore disciplinary core ideas.
While the GLOBE resources are freely available through the website, only GLOBE trained teachers can enter data into the GLOBE database. The database is a connection to thousands of other students and teachers around the world as well as research scientists.
Educators can become GLOBE trained in two ways:
1. Attend an in person GLOBE training. The SD Discovery Center offers at least one GLOBE training each year.
2. Complete the GLOBE e-training. To complete the GLOBE e-training:
- Set up a teacher account. If you are in South Dakota, be sure the South Dakota Discovery Center is listed as your partner. Note: the partner is different than your organization/school which is where you work.
- Complete the three online modules with assessments: Intro to GLOBE, Intro to a sphere, and a protocol. See this Summary Document for specifics.
- Not sure which spheres or protocols to select? We suggest the trainings Introduction to Hydrosphere and water transparency.
Grants of up to $750 to purchase monitoring supplies and resources will be made available to GLOBE trained educators in South Dakota. By applying for this grant, educators agree to collect and report data within a year of purchase. Complete this mini-grants application.
To schedule a half day training, please contact Anne Lewis.